Why study a Modern Language?
- it’s fun, and challenging;
- it is an important life skill which improves your working memory and develops fast-thinking;
- it enhances your listening skills and concentration capacity;
- you study words which raises your literacy level and reading speed;
- knowledge of one or more foreign languages can be useful in a wide range of careers; and
- you gain insight into the culture and attitudes of other nations and learn about their and our own place in Europe.
- You can combine languages with a range of degree subjects e.g. Maths, Chemistry, Economics, Accountancy, Law, Business, Physics, Finance, History, Politics etc.
Since 2013, three of our pupils have progressed to read Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge University.
CCEA Top Northern Ireland Examination Candidate 2015 GCSE French Joint 2nd was awarded to Grace Carson.
All KS3 pupils learn French and Spanish from Year 8. At the end of year 10, pupils are encouraged to choose both for GCSE study. In the sixth form we currently offer CCEA Advanced level courses in French and Spanish. We hope you enjoy your visit to our web pages. Please feel free to email us at: email@example.com if you have any questions.
MFL Trips: Each year we offer a language trip to either France or Spain. Recent MFL trip itineraries:
- Return flights from Belfast Intl to Paris (CDG)
- Four nights bed & breakfast in a Parisian Hotel / Coaching for the duration of your stay/ Fully comprehensive travel insurance.
- Return coach between school and Belfast International Airport / One day entrance to Disneyland Paris ( Park or Studio) Seine River Cruise / Entrance to Montparnasse Tower / Entrance to the Louvre / Guided tour of Paris Entrance and self-guided tour of Versailles / Three evening meals in a local restaurant One evening meal at Planet Hollywood in Disney
- Return flights from Dublin to Barcelona
- Coach at disposal throughout stay in Spain / Full day guided tour of BarcelonaFour nights half board (breakfast & evening meal) in a 3 star hotel in Salou / Fully comprehensive travel insurance
- Two day combined ticket for entrance on two consecutive days for two parks (PortAventura & Costa Caribe Water Park)
- Entrance to the Nou Camp stadium & self-guided tour / Golondrinas Boat Trip / All transfers included
European Day of Languages:
- Senior MFL pupils spend the morning of European Day of Languages in DH Christie Memorial Primary School / Irish Society’s Primary School engaging classes from P1-P7 in language learning activities. This is an excellent opportunity for A Level pupils to try out their classroom management skills while promoting language learning in their local community. Junior pupils take part in a range of EDL focused activities and competitions.
Drama Productions from Onatti Ltd in Target Language:
- KS3 pupils enjoyed the Spanish play, El Viejo Saloon and the French play, La Salle des Énigmes.
- Professor J. Carruthers from Queen’s University, Belfast, delivered an Employability presentation to KS3/KS4/KS5 pupils on the career advantages of studying languages at university and employer demand for language skills.
- Pupils learn about celebrations and cultural events across Europe. Activities also include information on Careers using languages and watching foreign films.
FRANCOFEST Year 10:
- Hosted by Queen’s University, Belfast, this is an opportunity for year 10 pupils to apply their language skills in a mock trade-fair setting.Last year, our pupils enjoyed running a Tourist Office in Lyon.
AS/A2 Film Days:
- Pupils travel to Magee University or Queen’s Film Theatreto enjoy a screening of a set A level text.
NICILT Debate (A2):
- CGS French A Level pupils demonstrated their fluency when they won their debate round during Queen’s University NICILT A-level Debating competition. http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/nicilt/(N Ireland Centre for Information on Language Teaching & Research)