A course based on this specification should give pupils opportunities to:
- Develop their knowledge and understanding of the importance of a healthy lifestyle through pregnacy and up to five years old.
- Develop an understanding of pregnacy, the responsibilities of parenthood and the overall needs of young children.
- Recognise the factors that can influence the physical, intellectual, emotional and social development of a child of up to five years old.
- Develop practical skills to improve competency and creativity.
- Manage resources, such as time, money and equipment effectively.
- Develop their knowledge, understanding and skills to hlp them to become informed and discerning customers.
ASSESSMENT (new specification)
Unit 1: Parenthood, Pregnacy and the Newborn Baby – 1hour 15mins written examination – 30%
Unit 2: THe Development of the Child (0-5years) – 1hour 15mins written examination – 30%
(Both papers include a combination of multiple-choice, short and structured questions and questions requiring extended writing).
Unit 3: Controlled Assessment Investigation Task – 40%
This involves analysing the set task, carrying out research by secondary and primary means, analysing viewpoints, planniong the outcome, drawing conclusions and evaluating the completed task.